At this point if you don't already know that I love tacos, you are not paying attention. Admittedly, I have historically relied heavily on chicken tacos. While those are amazing and I stand by them entirely, I thought it was time to try something a little different. So, I strayed right into the vegetarian realm with these air fryer sweet potato tacos. They are zesty, satisfying, taco perfection. Besides, they're drizzled with homemade ranch, so it is hard to go wrong.
I love this recipe because it combines classic southwest flavors, with the sweet caramelized flavor of roasted sweet potato...and it's tacos, so obviously. Before cooking, the sweet potatoes are dressed with southwest taco seasoning. I prefer the savory side of sweet potatoes and frankly, I think it's their strongest side. You hear that sweet potato casserole? Do better.
Anyway, after getting dressed for dinner, the sweet potatoes are crisped to perfection in the air fryer. The tacos are topped with shredded red cabbage, for some crunch and color, homemade sriracha ranch, and fresh herbs. My favorite taco herbs are cilantro, green onion, and chives. Use whatever you have or love. Want to always have fresh herbs on hand for your tacos? Learn how to re-grow green onion from scraps.
I use the Instant pot duo crisp because I prefer to have fewer appliances where possible. It works well as both an air fryer and a pressure cooker. (Note that if you purchase through my link I will receive a commission)
Yes! This recipe is written for an air fryer because I feel that the fryer does a better job of crisping the potatoes without burning them. However, the sweet potatoes can also be roasted in a standard oven. In order to get the sweet potatoes crispy in the oven, slightly increase the amount of oil used for seasoning. Once the sweet potatoes are dressed, bake them at 425 °F for 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. Remove when sweet potatoes are browned and crisped lightly.
Absolutely, simply replace the sriracha ranch for a vegan version such as this homemade vegan ranch recipe.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and vitamins A and C. However, while sweet potato itself can be categorized as a low glycemic index food, certain cooking methods can actually raise the glycemic index into the high range. Therefore, for diabetics they should be eaten in moderation.
Other recipes you might like
Now, get your sweet potato tacos cooking and appreciate yourself for making a whole new kind of taco. Look at you not eating meat for every meal. Great work!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Tacos
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½ in cubes (see notes)
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil enough to lightly coat the potatoes
- 1 tablespoon southwest seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt more to taste
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon milk any kind
- 2 teaspoon sriracha more to taste
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 corn tortillas street taco size
- shredded red cabbage
- fresh herbs try cilantro, green onion, or chives
- 1 jalapeño sliced thinly, optional
- Mix together all sweet potato ingredients until well combined. Start with 1 tablespoon of oil and increase as necessary until lightly coated.
- Cook the sweet potatoes. Pre-heat an air fryer to 400 °F. Cook sweet potatoes for 20 minutes, tossing them every 5 minutes. If your potatoes are still not crisp on the outside, cook for another 5 minutes.
- If you do not have an air fryer, make sure your sweet potatoes are well coated in oil, then cook in a pre-heated oven at 425 °F for 30-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. Remove when potatoes have reached your desired crispiness. Note- they will not get crispy all the way through without burning.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together all sriracha ranch ingredients. Taste and adjust sriracha and salt level as desired.
- To warm the tortillas, heat a medium pan over med-high. Heat each tortilla for about ~1 minute per side, until light brown spots appear.
- Assemble your tacos. Distribute sweet potatoes evenly across your tortillas, then top with red cabbage, and jalapeno (if desired). Drizzle sriracha ranch, squeeze some fresh lime, and sprinkle fresh herbs over the tacos.
I love southwest flavors and using the air fryer is a great idea! This looks wonderful!
Great recipe! The sriracha ranch is wonderful.
It's funny how something like homemade spiced ranch can elevate a dish!
Yum! Fantastic flavor on these!
These are so good, love the southwestern flavors and how easy they are in the air fryer.
I love how crispy the sweet potato gets!
Great veggie tacos!
Great way to make sweet potatoes!
This Air fryer sweet potato looks yummy
Katie Youngs says
This was the perfect recipe for Meatless Monday. The whole family loved it!
Hooray, glad everyone liked it!
These tacos were so delicious and easy to make!
Love this idea for sweet potatoes. Super delish and healthy!
The air fryer really brings out a lot of flavor!
I loved using my air fryer for these!
Awesome! It makes cooking so easy!
Emily Flint says
I love that I can make these in my air fryer!!
It's a great invention for sure.
Such a great filling for tacos!
Thank you, it's good to have a little variety!