Whether on shrimp or chicken tacos, pulled pork sandwiches, or shoveled directly into your gaping maw, a creamy cilantro lime slaw is one of those essentials recipes that it pays to master. My household is privileged to not have inherited the hate of cilantro. In fact, I may display some cilantrophilic tendencies. That being said, if you do not like cilantro, this is not the recipe for you…unless of course you are also a masochist, in which case, read on.
This recipe is simple and fast to mix up, however, you will need to exercise some patience. If you do not wait at least 2 hours, and ideally overnight, before eating this slaw, you will absolutely sacrifice flavor. So keep your paws off the slaw. Take the time to nap, it’s ok, tell them you’re busy cooking…it is practically true.
Cilantro lime slaw is extremely versatile. Depending on your use and personal taste, you may wish to add to this recipe.
- Create a spicy slaw by adding jalapeño.
- Make a zestier version by adding a little ranch and increasing the garlic powder.
- If you like things a bit more tart, use juice from the whole lime.
- Short on color in your life? Use both red and green cabbage.
Doctor this slaw until it matches the color of your spirit. Your soul slaw is waiting for you – I’ll see myself out.
Mix together a batch of this slaw, then appreciate yourself for taking steps to avoid scurvy.
Cilantro and Lime All-Purpose Slaw
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 head cabbage finely sliced
- 2 carrots finely sliced or shredded
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients
- Adjust seasoning to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss together slaw ingredients
- Pour dressing over slaw and mix well
- Cover slaw and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight
- Prior to use, mix slaw and adjust seasonings