These shortbread pecan bars are perfect for when you want a pie but don't want to go through the hassle of making a pie crust. Because look, if I couldn't even go through the effort of putting real pants on today, there's no way I'm rolling and crimping. This shortbread crust is simply smushed into a baking dish, a task anyone can do. If you have a spare child with excess energy, you won't even have to do this step. Then simply layer the crust with a pecan pie base and bake away. This is an easy and tasty recipe, perfect for parties or a night on the couch.
These bars are good as is but sometimes it's fun to play mad scientist with desserts. Add these extras when you mix the pecan pie base.
-White, Milk, or Dark Chocolate Chips
How to Store Pecan Bars
On the Counter: Store these at room temperature for 4-5 days.
In the Freezer: Store bars in an airtight container for about 2-3 months for best quality. Defrost bars on the counter a couple of hours before serving. If you are in a hurry, zap the bars in the microwave for about 20 seconds before eating.
Other Dessert Bar Recipes
If you love dessert bars and you need more options, check out these recipes:
Get your bars in the oven, then thank yourself for making such an easily portable dessert.
Pecan Bars With Shortbread Crust
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon butter melted
- ½ cup corn syrup light or dark will work
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together all crust ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Press the crust into a 9x13 glass baking dish, smushing it about until it is evenly spread.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, whisk together the eggs, butter, corn syrup, vanilla, sugar, and salt.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Finally, fold the pecans into the mix.
- When Crust is done, pour the filling over the crust and gently spread it evenly over the surface.
- Bake the bars for 20-25 minutes until browned on top and the center only slightly jiggles when the pan is jostled.
- Allow to cool before cutting into the bars.